Sunday 22 April 2018

Not one but two.....

I had been reading about pheromone use in the luring of certain species. I thought that's up my street so I ordered from a well respected lepidoptera supplier. As the instructions stated how best to use and store them I had already got myself some netting, string, crocodile clips, and airtight containers. I have ordered four different lures for various species, mainly Clearwings but one I was particularly looking forward to trying was the Emperor Moth. It seems they are fairly widespread over the UK so I thought why not.

Whilst I had prepared everything for the project I was heavily reliant on mother nature providing some warm sunshine and a breeze. On this occasion she looked favourably on us!

Put the setup outside attached to a branch via the croc clip about 13:30. We sat outside facing the lure enjoying the sun. My wife went down on record as saying no chance wrong habitat......  well that's a challenge i would like to set straight then.

Now after an hour or two, whilst the sun shone and the wind was a strong breeze, we had nothing then a different, but very welcome visitor zipped around the garden briefly. We normally, if do do see them, are later in the year. This being a rather unusual Spring had us looking at another Moth species the Humming-bird Hawk-moth! It didn't stay long but I was quite pleased about it's early appearance.

After the excitement we got back to watching for any other visitors and at about 15:45, as we were doing a bit of weeding, a Male Emperor Moth fluttered around the lure. It would not settle despite my dash for the camera. After a few circuits it disappeared!

WOW was a real feeling about the visitors of the day.

It left me with the thought that seeing a Humming-bird Hawk-moth around the garden before a House Martin and Swallow was possibly a once in a lifetime thing....I hope. Or is this the changing face of migration I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free To Comment